Friday, January 10, 2014

XC Skate Skiing at Grafton Ponds Outdoor Center

Hillary had the day off so we scanned the nordic ski centers in Vermont to see who had snow and trails in decent shape.  Since we have season passes to Mountain Meadows in Killington we are also part of the VT reciprocal pass program where you can ski one free day at all of the other nordic centers in VT.  Our research paid off as we ended up at Grafton Ponds Outdoor Center in southern VT.  There was much more snow down there and the trails were perfect for skating!  Hillary and I skated just over 20k and got a good workout on the hills throughout their trail system.  We stopped for lunch in the village of Grafton and even stopped in at the Cheese Store for numerous free cheese samples.  It was a beautiful day to see southern VT and ski some great trails.

2 comments:

  1. In the Nordic countries they say 1 mile = 10 km, which really takes the punch out of a longer workout. "I skied 2 miles today," just doesn't sound as good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems like some faulty math to me! They are giving you no choice but to use metric, as we should do here ...

      Delete

I just started ultra running in 2013. I have done a couple Ironman triathlons then I did not train much for about 3 years. On July 27, 2013, after a long bike ride with some friends I got the itch and signed up for the Virgil Crest 50 mile ultra. I was able to place second overall and tie the previous course record. My longest week included a 27 mile run and a weekly total of 50 miles. I am curious what I can do with adequate training ...

I attempt to take advantage of each season and cross train as much as possible to prepare for my upcoming 2014 ultra running races. Below you will find excerpts from my training days and races. You can search the blog for individual race reports or other key words on the bottom right-hand side. I work full-time as a professor at Castleton State College, so I utilize weekends for longer workouts and do what I can during the week.

Let me know if you want to go for a run!