Sunday, January 19, 2014

Week 2 2014 - Recap

It has been another great week of training! I was a bit worried about trying to get in my miles during January and February, but I just have to convince myself to stay off of most trails and make the best of the rolling hills of the Vermont dirt backroads. This week had some easier long runs, 1 mile repeats, and one 15 mile run at a decent pace. I am on track with the schedule I have made for training and do not yet have any reason to back down mileage. It was extremely useful to come in to this with a lot of nordic skiing leading up to January.  I should add that the swim day after intervals was complete rejuvenation! I may hit the pool again tomorrow if time allows during my off day.

Summary of Week 2
M  OFF
T   8.2 mile easier run
W  5x1 mile repeats with 0.25 mi recovery - total 8.9 miles
Th  Swim in pool - 45 minutes
F   OFF
S   15.0 mile run at faster pace, dirt and pavement (~1200' elev. gain)
S   10.1 mile easier run (~1000' elev. gain)

Weekly Totals
Run distance:  42.2 miles
Total time all activities:  6.3 hours
Total elevation gain:  2,877 ft

No comments:

Post a Comment

I just started ultra running in 2013. I have done a couple Ironman triathlons then I did not train much for about 3 years. On July 27, 2013, after a long bike ride with some friends I got the itch and signed up for the Virgil Crest 50 mile ultra. I was able to place second overall and tie the previous course record. My longest week included a 27 mile run and a weekly total of 50 miles. I am curious what I can do with adequate training ...

I attempt to take advantage of each season and cross train as much as possible to prepare for my upcoming 2014 ultra running races. Below you will find excerpts from my training days and races. You can search the blog for individual race reports or other key words on the bottom right-hand side. I work full-time as a professor at Castleton State College, so I utilize weekends for longer workouts and do what I can during the week.

Let me know if you want to go for a run!