Sunday, January 26, 2014

Week 3 2014 - Recap

Another successful week of training!  I feel like I am at a pretty healthy balance of faster training runs, longer miles, and adequate rest.  After the faster 6:45 pace for 7 miles tempo workout on Wed I was a bit sore, but I was recovered and ready to go for my weekend miles.  Saturday's 17 miler had about 5 miles of atv trail with 3 inches of snow and the rest was snowpacked roads, so it was overall a great workout even if the elevation gain was not enormous.  Today I ran my first 4.25 miles with Hillary.  It was difficult to get out of the car with the temperature at 14 degrees and the trees swaying back and forth due to the high winds.  It took us a mile to get warmed up as we crossed the open farm fields, but once we started to climb Griffin Hill all was good for the rest of my 11 mile run.

Hill intervals and a 20 miler to look forward to next week!

Summary of Week 3
M   OFF
T    7.4 miles, 640' elev gain, easier run
W    7 miles at 6:45 pace; 1.2 mile cool down; total 8.2 miles
Th   45 swimming in the pool
F     OFF
S     17 miles, 1700' elev. gain, lots of snow on trails and dirt road
S     11 miles, easier recovery run

Weekly Totals
Run Distance:  43.7 miles
Total time all activities:  6.5 hours
Total elevation gain:  3,232'

No comments:

Post a Comment

I just started ultra running in 2013. I have done a couple Ironman triathlons then I did not train much for about 3 years. On July 27, 2013, after a long bike ride with some friends I got the itch and signed up for the Virgil Crest 50 mile ultra. I was able to place second overall and tie the previous course record. My longest week included a 27 mile run and a weekly total of 50 miles. I am curious what I can do with adequate training ...

I attempt to take advantage of each season and cross train as much as possible to prepare for my upcoming 2014 ultra running races. Below you will find excerpts from my training days and races. You can search the blog for individual race reports or other key words on the bottom right-hand side. I work full-time as a professor at Castleton State College, so I utilize weekends for longer workouts and do what I can during the week.

Let me know if you want to go for a run!