Thursday, January 23, 2014

Weekly highs in the single digits, where to run

So it has been cooold!  Since I have no desire to run on a treadmill I have been having to beef up the clothing for my runs this week.  Unless the wind is unbearable you too should not fret the cold weather on a run.  The hard part is to just get motivated and start moving!
My typical run gear on a 5 degree run is a synthetic T-shirt, 2 midweight wicking shirts (one with a tall zippered neck), a lightweight wind resistant vest, double pair of gloves and my Swix wind resistant front breathable back pants.  I have also been enjoying my Salomon Speedcross 3 running shoes for the recent conditions.  The cleat like bottoms provide sure footing on the snowpacked dirt roads and I find even the regular model warmer than most shoes.  I do not really need to beef up from a normal running sock.  This gear is good for up to an hour or so.  If the run is slower paced I may need to add one more layer.
I have ran two ~8 mile runs the last two days.  One was casual the other was a faster tempo run near 6:50 pace.  Today was another glorious 45 minute swim.  My legs were getting a bit sore/tired, but I feel great again tonight after the swim.  Swimming does tend to make me tired though.  I am nearly ready for bed at 8:45p.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I just started ultra running in 2013. I have done a couple Ironman triathlons then I did not train much for about 3 years. On July 27, 2013, after a long bike ride with some friends I got the itch and signed up for the Virgil Crest 50 mile ultra. I was able to place second overall and tie the previous course record. My longest week included a 27 mile run and a weekly total of 50 miles. I am curious what I can do with adequate training ...

I attempt to take advantage of each season and cross train as much as possible to prepare for my upcoming 2014 ultra running races. Below you will find excerpts from my training days and races. You can search the blog for individual race reports or other key words on the bottom right-hand side. I work full-time as a professor at Castleton State College, so I utilize weekends for longer workouts and do what I can during the week.

Let me know if you want to go for a run!