Monday, June 1, 2015

My first ultra DNF

On Saturday I was beaten down by The Endurance Society Infinitus Trail Ultra 88k

Unfortunately I had to pull out of the 88k trail race at mile 31.5 on Saturday. I was in second place at mile 18 when I rolled over my ankle pretty good. I recovered over the next 2.5 miles, lost my position then regained it, before another brutal blow to the same weakened ankle at mile 27.5 that threw me to the ground with a surprising yell. I knew I was done. I limped out of the woods the remaining 4 miles with the help of a hiking pole of some helpful folks. DNF at the 31.5 mile checkpoint still holding on to 5th at that point. Ankle swelled, couldn't put pressure on it, sucked up pride and am happy with the decision to not ruin my summer running plans by trying to finish. Recovery is already happening fast, got a swim in today, and will be on the trails again soon. 

The funny thing about this injury was that this course was on very lightly traveled 'trails' for much of the way and had loose footing all over the place, but both places I rolled my ankle the footing was actually pretty solid.  Obviously I still have some things to work on!  I have been working more recently on my hip strengthening exercises to prevent rolling my leg and foot, but obviously not enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I just started ultra running in 2013. I have done a couple Ironman triathlons then I did not train much for about 3 years. On July 27, 2013, after a long bike ride with some friends I got the itch and signed up for the Virgil Crest 50 mile ultra. I was able to place second overall and tie the previous course record. My longest week included a 27 mile run and a weekly total of 50 miles. I am curious what I can do with adequate training ...

I attempt to take advantage of each season and cross train as much as possible to prepare for my upcoming 2014 ultra running races. Below you will find excerpts from my training days and races. You can search the blog for individual race reports or other key words on the bottom right-hand side. I work full-time as a professor at Castleton State College, so I utilize weekends for longer workouts and do what I can during the week.

Let me know if you want to go for a run!