Friday, June 19, 2015

Finally back on track

Well it has been a tough season so far.  Typically I am not a complainer, my body feels good and I just go!  Since April this season I have constantly had something bothering me.  Tendinitis in my quad, sore underfoot, twisted ankle, and even 5 weeks of an upset stomach that has limited my calorie intake and nutrition during runs.  Well I think it is all turning the corner.  My ankle injury is healing faster than I initially thought it would.  Just two weeks after I could barely walk I was back up to a 30+ mile weekend.  It is still slightly swollen, does not have all of its flexibility back, but is feeling pretty strong.  I just ran on it on non-technical trails and iced constantly for about two weeks,  My stomach is back to about 95% and my miles are finally back up.  Last week I was a bit tired and sore after not being able to run much for two weeks on my swollen ankle, but all in all things are good.

With this setback I will have to push my Northville-Placid Trail (NPT) attempt back a few weeks to mid-July, but I am again feeling confident about the outlook.  I was hoping to get an unsupported attempt on the Long Trail in before classes start again in August, but it appears the time frame is shrinking.  I need many more long mile weekends and time on the actual trail to be prepared for such an undertaking.

We will be traveling up to the Bay of Fundy marathon next weekend for Hillary to race.  Afterwards I will try to narrow in on a plan for the NPT attempt.

Oh yeah, I am two days in to my new shoes the Hoka Rapa Nui.  The anti-minimalist shoe that is lighter than my Salomon Speedcross 3 and loaded with cushion.  It cured my 4 week sore underfoot in just two days of wearing them around and so far they seem to be helping a bit with my outside foot striking.  They are super fast on the downhill.  I am looking forward to getting them out on some more technical trail to see how they handle the conditions.  They will be my new shoe until I am proven wrong by unmanageable conditions.  It is like having springs under your legs!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I just started ultra running in 2013. I have done a couple Ironman triathlons then I did not train much for about 3 years. On July 27, 2013, after a long bike ride with some friends I got the itch and signed up for the Virgil Crest 50 mile ultra. I was able to place second overall and tie the previous course record. My longest week included a 27 mile run and a weekly total of 50 miles. I am curious what I can do with adequate training ...

I attempt to take advantage of each season and cross train as much as possible to prepare for my upcoming 2014 ultra running races. Below you will find excerpts from my training days and races. You can search the blog for individual race reports or other key words on the bottom right-hand side. I work full-time as a professor at Castleton State College, so I utilize weekends for longer workouts and do what I can during the week.

Let me know if you want to go for a run!