Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Week 13 2014 Recap

What a glorious down week that lined up perfectly with the sap run for making maple syrup.  I am feeling the best I have since starting to train in January and am looking forward to my final week of big miles this upcoming weekend.  The thaw is on which means we are in the midst of mud season.  The snowmobile trails are still a mix of ice and deep mud, so I am still stuck on the roads for my 35 miler and 20 miler this weekend.  Endurance wise I should be in pretty decent shape for the first week of May for the North Face Bear Mountain 50 miler, but I guess I will see how my leg strength is doing after not being able to run huge vertical gains yet.  Bear Mtn will be a good test against some of the best ultra runners in North America and a good test to see where I stand physically in my preparation for the VT100 in July.

Since I had fewer miles this week and not a ton of elevation gain my workouts were a bit faster this week.

Summary of Week 13:
M    OFF
T     7.0 mile run at 7:46 pace
W    OFF
Th   OFF
F     7.3 mile run Pond Hill Loop at 7:49 pace
S     11.4 mile run at 7:34 pace
S     14.8 mile run with Hillary (casual pace)


Weekly Totals:
Run distance:                    40.1 miles 
Total run elevation gain:    3,320 feet 
Total run time:                    5 hours 3 mins

No comments:

Post a Comment

I just started ultra running in 2013. I have done a couple Ironman triathlons then I did not train much for about 3 years. On July 27, 2013, after a long bike ride with some friends I got the itch and signed up for the Virgil Crest 50 mile ultra. I was able to place second overall and tie the previous course record. My longest week included a 27 mile run and a weekly total of 50 miles. I am curious what I can do with adequate training ...

I attempt to take advantage of each season and cross train as much as possible to prepare for my upcoming 2014 ultra running races. Below you will find excerpts from my training days and races. You can search the blog for individual race reports or other key words on the bottom right-hand side. I work full-time as a professor at Castleton State College, so I utilize weekends for longer workouts and do what I can during the week.

Let me know if you want to go for a run!