Sunday, February 9, 2014

Week 5 2014 - Recap

Just when I was planning for a hefty trail run, bammm a foot of snow comes down.  I'm not going to complain too much since it is extremely refreshing.  It has remained cold, the snow is still soft, and the weekend was nothing but blue skies.  It just means that I am going to take advantage of the snow for some cross training.  On Sat I ran 25 miles, but there was not a ton of elevation gain.  However, since much of the run was on pavement I was definitely a bit sore afterwards and this morning.  After hauling in wood that will last the week for the furnace I was feeling pretty good, so I gathered the dogs and skis to explore the snowmobile trails around Castleton.  It was a tough endurance weekend and I am feeling tired, but still strong after the weekend activities.  It will be nice to drop the mileage a bit this week to allow for some recovery before getting into big weekend miles again the next week.
View from Pond Hill VAST trail towards Bird Mtn



Tired dogs
Summary of Week 5:
M    OFF
T     7.6 mi trail run (1,528' elev. gain)
W    5.0 mile classic XC Ski (breaking new trail 10" snow; 600' elev. gain)
Th   5.0 mile deep snow run (strenuous)
F     OFF
S     24.8 mile run (8:09 pace; 1,400' elev. gain)
S     19.6 mile classic XC ski VAST trails (2,325' elev. gain)


Weekly Totals:
Run distance:                    37.4 miles (62.1 miles run & ski)
Total run elevation gain:     3,509 feet (6,434' run & ski)
Total time all activities:      10 hours 25 mins

No comments:

Post a Comment

I just started ultra running in 2013. I have done a couple Ironman triathlons then I did not train much for about 3 years. On July 27, 2013, after a long bike ride with some friends I got the itch and signed up for the Virgil Crest 50 mile ultra. I was able to place second overall and tie the previous course record. My longest week included a 27 mile run and a weekly total of 50 miles. I am curious what I can do with adequate training ...

I attempt to take advantage of each season and cross train as much as possible to prepare for my upcoming 2014 ultra running races. Below you will find excerpts from my training days and races. You can search the blog for individual race reports or other key words on the bottom right-hand side. I work full-time as a professor at Castleton State College, so I utilize weekends for longer workouts and do what I can during the week.

Let me know if you want to go for a run!