Sunday, February 2, 2014

Week 4 2014 - Recap

This last week was the first fairly tough week for me with the weekend miles growing (33 miles), hill intervals, and total elevation gain for the week increasing (~5000 feet).  The weather has been getting warmer, yet the roads have remained snowpacked all week.  I have been running mostly on dirt roads, but my 20 mile Friday run was almost entirely pavement.  My feet and legs were a bit more sore than normal since I am not as used to the impact.  I am looking forward to getting out on the trails more and more.
Next week I am building up to a Sat.-25mi, Sun-20mi before I bring the miles down for one week as part of my training periodicity plan to facilitate recovery and prevent over training.  Even though I am not putting on a ton of miles per week compared to a lot of runners, since I am only running 4 days a week I am putting on many more miles per training event.  So far I can't believe it, but I am feeling really great!

Sunday morning run on Birdseye Rd
Summary of Week 4
M   OFF
T    8.25 mi run (Medium effort, small elev. gain)
W    4x1mi hill (~450') intervals; 8.0 mi total
Th   40 minute skate ski on Castleton Rail Trail
F    20.5 mi run (decent effort, decent elevation)
S     OFF - Ice fishing Lake Bomoseen
S     12.3 mi run (easy, decent elevation)

Weekly Totals
Run distance:                       49.1 miles
Total run elevation gain:        4,933 feet
Total time all activities:          7.4 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment

I just started ultra running in 2013. I have done a couple Ironman triathlons then I did not train much for about 3 years. On July 27, 2013, after a long bike ride with some friends I got the itch and signed up for the Virgil Crest 50 mile ultra. I was able to place second overall and tie the previous course record. My longest week included a 27 mile run and a weekly total of 50 miles. I am curious what I can do with adequate training ...

I attempt to take advantage of each season and cross train as much as possible to prepare for my upcoming 2014 ultra running races. Below you will find excerpts from my training days and races. You can search the blog for individual race reports or other key words on the bottom right-hand side. I work full-time as a professor at Castleton State College, so I utilize weekends for longer workouts and do what I can during the week.

Let me know if you want to go for a run!