Monday, May 25, 2015

One week until Infinitus 88k

Next Saturday May 30th is Infinitus!  The event is put on by the Endurance Society and has distances from 8k to 888k, and has a 48 hour and 72 hour race.  I will be participating in the 88k, or about 54.5 miles.  The race is sure to be hilly and on tough Vermont trails.  Many are snowmobile trails and some of the climbs are sure to be steep.  It will not be a fast race, so it will be important to take my time at the beginning.  The aid stations are pretty spread out and I will really only be able to resupply with my own nutrition at miles 30 and 40.  In between there are limited aid stations, so I will be carrying a lot of Nuun tabs to hydrate effectively, especially the first 30 miles.  Hillary will be running Girls on the Run with her group from Fair Haven in Rutland in the morning, so hopefully I will see her around mile 30.  I hope to make the top three in this race, but I will certainly not be out front at the start.  The plan is to take it at a comfortable speed for the first 25 miles, refuel at 30, and then see what I can do.  Either way it will be a long day, 12 hours, 15??? tough to say!

http://www.endurancesociety.org/infinitus/

No comments:

Post a Comment

I just started ultra running in 2013. I have done a couple Ironman triathlons then I did not train much for about 3 years. On July 27, 2013, after a long bike ride with some friends I got the itch and signed up for the Virgil Crest 50 mile ultra. I was able to place second overall and tie the previous course record. My longest week included a 27 mile run and a weekly total of 50 miles. I am curious what I can do with adequate training ...

I attempt to take advantage of each season and cross train as much as possible to prepare for my upcoming 2014 ultra running races. Below you will find excerpts from my training days and races. You can search the blog for individual race reports or other key words on the bottom right-hand side. I work full-time as a professor at Castleton State College, so I utilize weekends for longer workouts and do what I can during the week.

Let me know if you want to go for a run!